PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Telegraph - "MoD to 'Anglicise' Boeing Wedgetail jets after £2bn deal with US firm.."
Old 28th Aug 2018, 22:12
andrewn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wensleydale

Although built at the end of the 80s, the mission system was designed at the end of the 1970s, and the current E-3D still uses the same computer etc. Bearing in mind that this is contemporary with the Spectrum 16 and the BBC B then you can see why it is getting difficult to find spares. Buying COTS instead of original designed equipment leads to a huge flight testing effort - the mission system is not only for the aircraft but has to give an appropriate service to other users and has safety implications for them as well. Despite its age, the Sentry is a marvellous piece of kit but unfortunately keeping it flying and finding appropriate 30 year old mission system spares etc is a bit of a headache - unless you can find a manufacturer with the capability of building antique computer equipment at a reasonable cost.
Agreed, and we all know why we are where we are with E-3D obsolesence issues. But, my point is that, surely a MLU, inc replacement of mission kit should be less expensive than a complete new purchase, of a different type with its own new mission system, bespoke support requirement/training and its own obsolesence issues (as per RAAF example above)? But maybe in this disposable age the sensible answer is buy new E-7's. Way above my knowledge level to be authoritative, just puzzles me that the default answer is so often to buy new and shiney...