PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2018, 19:02
Bushdodge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Loggins
Haha,

sound advice PP, however that’s the deal we made. She is an idealist and I am also up for adventure. It will set up her residency spot in gynaecology back home in Holland.

EasyJet is very accommodating and the only effect it will have on my career is that it will delay my command by 11 months. I can put in a good 10 months work, what’s the average turnover in crew in these sort of places? We intend to do this for several months a year after the sabbatical as well. I have some experience operating 206 but only around 200 hours on short runways. Not gravel, just grass.
It can easily take 3 months for your validation and work permits to be granted, so you'd only be left with 9 months of use to the companies. That's assuming you get a job as soon as you arrive and the company has the capacity to train you while you're waiting for the paperwork, which isn't always the case.

Realistically, most companies won't invest the effort in you for only 9 months of flying... but you could always not mention that you have a leaving date and say you plan to finish a 2 year contract. Expect to pay a bond for leaving before finishing the contract.

Not trying to discourage you - just being honest.

As for landing a job, your airbus time might as well not exist. However, having C206 time helps with the paperwork a lot. Times have changed since the TV show. People are getting job offers via email/skype with some companies now. Particularly if you've got an SET and/or C208 rating (but time on other types the companies operate is favourable)