PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Competent Are Airport Screeners ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2003, 12:04
Plastic Bug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Ummm..

Snoopy,

Unfortunately, when you said:

"The people who stay are students (working to finance their studies), single mums who have difficulty finding jobs elsewhere (and who generally are probably the best of the bunch, just in case anyone thinks I meant this in a disparaging way...definitely not), and people who can't get jobs elsewhere."

You just stated the common idea as to who serves in the military.

It really doesn't matter WHY they are doing the job. What matters is that they ARE doing the job. A job that many shun.

I recently flew out of LGA, and passed my jacket through the X-Ray machine. After x-raying my jacket, the screener asked me if I would please remove my Zippo lighter from my jacket pocket so she could see it (and verify its functionality, which she did). I was impressed, and I told her so.

The mantra about "Thousands Standing Around" is not really the deal. They're not all completely stupid. The bad guy will never know if he is getting a sharp screener or not. That in itself is a deterrent. Just like guns in the cockpit. Is there one there or not? Don't know. Maybe. Feel lucky?

Hey, it's late, just throwing around some ideas.

Keep the faith!

PB