PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2018, 08:03
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Smile

Franek

Thank you for Victor/Wiktor's pilot background which is certainly news to me. No photos I'm afraid, but a clear picture in my mind of him working at his nav position in the Hastings. A big man clad only in his underwear, not a pretty sight! Like most big men he was a gentle giant, that is until he took umbrage with someone. Unfortunately such a person was our Sqn Cdr at Changi, and when Victor came into the Adjutant's Office (I was Deputy Adjutant and covering for him) with his completed clearance card, I accepted it and said that the CO could see him now to say goodbye. "If I see that F...ing man I will crush his F...ing skull!" (a favourite expression of Victor, no doubt with Polish roots). I hastily signed him off, wished him good fortune, and said goodbye. The boss asked later why he hadn't seen Victor that day. "You were out, Sir, so I said goodbye on your behalf", I lamely replied.

The reason this thread has run to 610 pages for over 10 years is because of its eternal popularity (and the benign forbearance of the mods!). Themes come and themes go, but the thread defies all efforts and forecasts of its demise, and is forever making new paths. The effect is that it is always near the front page, whereas many single issue threads slip inexorably into the PPRuNe depths never to be seen again. Unlike many of our themes (uniforms, cars, rations, convoy routes, etc, etc,) your proposal to introduce the stories of Polish Pilots who obtained RAF Pilots Brevets (in WWII or after) is front and centre of the thread OP. Your call of course, but if you choose to tell their stories here I'm sure they they would be warmly received and commented upon. If you did so choose your other thread could be closed by you (as thread Opening Poster). Just saying...

Last edited by Chugalug2; 28th Aug 2018 at 08:16.