PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA 61.75 'Piggy back' Certificate Validity
Old 28th Aug 2018, 07:05
Reely340

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by claudia
Guys. Say i go and get my 61.75 or indeed a stand alone FAA ticket, does the CFI conducting the 24 mointh
review need to be specifically rated on the squirrel --- after all his licence being American is not type specific
Just wondering !
Apparently not. The FSDO Officer doing my 61.75 piggy back work in Oahu explained to me that CFIs do not have to be and sometimes are not rated or proficient(!) in flying the a/c the applicant wants to do the review in: In one case the CFI conducting the check ride in a squirrel actually did shut off the engine midflight to indicate he'd like to see the applicant's proficincy in emergency procedures. And off meant off, not ground idle! With stress levels in the cockpit rising considerably the applicant barely manged to land, off airport w/o any damages to a/c or surroundings. => pick your CFI wisely

He (the FDSO officer) said that this rating-less scheme would be the american way: while he was working SAR he frequently rescued off shore skippers who had had the money to buy a capable high sea sail plane but apparently lacked any skills to operate the ship safely out there in heavy weather. Apparently one may legally cross oceans after acquiring proficency sailing a 10ft dingy.

Personally, I do like that idea, of letting darwin sort out the gene pool. That way those with brains do not have to suffer (by excessive bureaucracy) for loonies in their area of conduct.

Last edited by Reely340; 28th Aug 2018 at 07:57.