PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High On Final?
Thread: High On Final?
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2018, 03:57
giggitygiggity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by A Squared
giggity, not saying you're wrong, I agree with what you've posted, but even if this wasn't under radar control, you's still be performing the orbit within the published hold, on the same side of the localizer as the published hold, and at or above the published holding altitude. Radar control is just an additional layer of safety.
Sorry, I wasn't replying to your post, but to Bloggs if that makes it clearer. But I agree with you, that an orbit (in the location to the south of the LOC at ~15NM) is within the published hold so that makes it safe, although whilst safe, i'm not sure it's legally acceptable as the hold is published for procedural purposes only as this chart makes no reference to the MRA.

Originally Posted by A Squared
Seems from the plate that "Established on the localizer and inside of 16.1 IGML/16.6 BDR" or "established on the localizer and on the glideslope" would both be safe, acceptable answers to your question. Do you have an instrument rating?
I agree, with wiggy, that there is a little bit of a trap there as the plate is pretty messy to be quite frank. It could probably do with an expansion chart, though I'm not sure of the technical term - LIDO would call it "ILS 28 Initial". Note 1 also says that in accordance with the procedure you may descend down to 4800ft within 13.5 IMGL which I'm sure people will miss due to the wide 'zoom' shown.

Last edited by giggitygiggity; 28th Aug 2018 at 04:06. Reason: pprune software driving me mad (also corrected a schoolboy error)