PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So WestJet almost puts one of their 737 in the water while landing at St-Maarten...
Old 28th Aug 2018, 01:03
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by underfire
Yes, eventually.
In the beginning, the box simply would not accept a runway endpoint over 10,000 feet. No matter what we tried, PINS, waypoint on threshold, unless the waypoint is RWY terminator, and in the database as such, just no way. The lazy B had so many things hard and soft coded into the logic and systems with 10,000 so that pilots would not bust the check ride, it took a while to weed it out.
They did eventually fix this, but it took sometime, especially with Jepp as a competitor, so I think you know how that went.

This is why so many of the real challenging airports were AB first.
Cuzco, Lhasa, Linzhi, Queenstown, etc...
I guess this is why the FAA is so insistent on operator and airframe specific validation of the integrity and performance of an RNP AR procedure.

From a pilot's perspective Cuzco is betting on the come, so to speak, because the missed approach is arduous and problematic in the event of an engine failure. I doubt the FAA would approve those Cuzco approaches for a U.S. 121 operator because of the missed approach.

Nonetheless, "buckets" of tourists go from Lima to Cuzco everyday during the season. I suspect the pilots are very conservative about the minimums.