PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2018, 21:33
Franek Grabowski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danny
Sure, I do not want to leave, I just think that a separate thread would better serve the purpose. There is surely lots of stories about Poles, an the thread has alredy 610 pages! It is hard to browse!
Kalinowski was Tadeusz, I presume? Joe Halkiew, ex Mosquito jock, he later flew Mosquitoes and Meteors with No 152 Sqn. What aircraft had he been flying in No 20 Sqn?
Jack Błocki was awarded with Silver Cross of Virtuti Militari, he flew Wellingtons on No 305 Sqn, then was co pilot in the crew of F/L Szostak flying Liberator from Italy with drops to underground. His last mission was Wildhorn II, he was a co pilot with RAF crew flying Dakota to Poland to retrieve some underground figures. At some point he was a mobile ATC for helis at Borneo, later in Cyprus, where he had settled. He had his memories published a few years ago, First Tango in Warsaw.
Surely there is Toorak, but Turek means Turkish man in Polish. This could be also dimunitive of aurochs.

Chugalug
Victor Fontes was actually Wiktor Cepiński-Flegel. He served with No 301 Sqn after the war, flying transport aircraft, Warwicks and Halifaxes. In December 1948 he joined RPAF and flew with AHQ Communication Squadron at Mauripur, Wayfarer and Dakotas. He was released in September 1949, and flew for a short while with Pak Air Ltd, and after it went belly up, he returned to the UK. I was unable to contact his family. Do you have any photos of him?

Best wishes
Franek