PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To Danny and all - Polish airmen in the RAF
Old 27th Aug 2018, 21:24
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Franek Grabowski
Chris
There was a large group of Poles that served with the RAFVR in 1939/40, because law did not permitt foreign troops to be based in the UK. Following the fall of France, the law has been changed, and all of them were transferred to the Polish Air Force. Those who arrived at the time and later never served in the RAF. Post-war some joined RAF, and served for various periods.
I am interested in those with the airlines as well, I just did not want to do too much mess in the thread. Off hand I recall there was a Polish pilot flying in Caledonian until early 1980s. Few were in Eagle, but not sure if for that long.
Thanks for the explanation, Franek. So, after the fall of France in 1940, would it be reasonable to say that those in the RAF (Polish) squadrons were Polish Air Force on secondment to the RAF?
The two I flew with on BAC1-11s in BCAL were probably too young for the BoB. I reckon they were about 57 years old in 1979. Names were "Leck" Laszkiewicz and "Henry Morton". At that time we had a silly, interim, retirement policy whereby captains had to vacate the LHS age 57, but could switch to RHS until retirement at 60. That's what they did.
Unfortunately, neither was inclined to talk to me about their time in the RAF, but it's likely to have included Dakota flying in Leck's case. It was said that, when based at Blackpool with Manx Airlines, he occasionally taxied a Dakota on to the apron with the tail still up.