PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fast Jet Display Safety
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2018, 12:39
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wingless Walrus,

With your conviction for the incorporation of auto-GCAS for display flying, I am curious to know what you propose re my earlier point regarding when the system would disengage and return control authority to the pilot and the potential for it inducing GLOC.

When displaying a high performance aircraft, the aim is to demonstrate its maximum performance when safe to do so and to transition between such manoeuvres in a safe manner which, invariably, will not be flown at maximum performance. Any automatic GCAS will have to have safety margins built in, and I feel that g onset rates and peak g would have to be reduced from the ultimate capability of the aircraft such that GLOC would not be induced upon a pilot who was unprepared for the automated and unannounced high g manoeuvre. Therefore, in a display I suspect that there would be nuisance intrusions occurring when the automatic system would effectively terminate the display unnecessarily. Personally, I would not be prepared to display an aircraft that had such a system.

The key to display safety is to pick a pilot who has the correct attitude and to train him properly. This training must be done by someone with the requisite experience, not just of senior military rank. And I suspect that this paragraph may open up a whole new topic for discussion!