PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross Wind T/O and Landings
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2018, 10:47
Dan_Brown

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
T/O.

I have been taught, on the T/0 roll use as little or no, into wind aileron. The more control deflection, the more drag of course. Certainly you don't want spoilers raised.

At initiation of the rotation, anticipate the into wind wing rise by applying sufficent aileron to at least keep the wings level but best is slightly into wind wing down. Depending on wind strenght that into wind wing will rise if not anticipated. Additionaly if you have rudder defiection to keep straight, then you have secondary effect, compounding the wing lift. When airborne, the rudder should be slowly centralized and that should keep you tracking on the extended centre line. If the departure states R/W HDG after t/o you still need to stop that into wind wing rising at lift off. Rreason being, if you get a sudden gust at lift off you may bang a pod or tip on the downwind wing.

This is the procedure I have used through out my career from light aircraft to heavy swept wing aircraft and in between as the basics are the same. IMHO

The above works for me and have made a point of suggesting it when asked and always tried to teach it.

Last edited by Dan_Brown; 28th Aug 2018 at 08:33.