PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prior permission to land at Gympie airport
Old 27th Aug 2018, 05:55
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Traffic,
If you read the history of Gympie airfield, it was substantially built with Commonwealth taxpayers money, it was/is an ALOP airfield. It was NOT paid for by the local council and their ratepayers.

Even through the original ALOP deed has been debased, when then Minister John Anderson was conned into the changes by the bureaucrats of the then Department of Transport and Regional whatever, there is still an obligation that it remains an airfield open for public use, I would argue that some of the recent restrictions, including PPO, are contrary to the remaining ALOP terms.

As a previous poster has pointed out, petty local politics wins over the public interests of the majority. As we know, some of the restrictions have not the remotest connection to any delineated risk at Gympie, in my opinion it is just the usual appeal to knee-jerk reaction to the great god, safety, for base political purposes. It is also clear, in my opinion, that most of the local council know about as much about aviation, general or otherwise, as the average perX in the street.

I have read the "draft" masterplan, a rather boilerplate effort that, in my opinion, could have been run off a template, just fill in the blanks. Lots of lovely words, lots of vaulting ambition expressed by "council", belied by "council's" actual behavior.

About the only thing that stuck out was 100% user pays, the council will not accept that the airfield should in any way be treated like roads, parks or other public facilities, to the degree that mooted swinging charges for runway access, for proposed "airpark" development of private land adjacent will not encourage these developments.

Tootle pip!!