PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Farnborough Airspace Proposal
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2018, 22:43
planesandthings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KelvinD
planesandthings: Get off your high horse. Just for a minute.
I was merely relating what I have seen frequently. This particular day saw an unusually high number of gliders. The area in which they were flying included the same patch of earth that the occasional Flybe aircraft fly through on their way to Southampton. I know this to be true as I often see them between my house and Lasham. Similarly, the corridor along which helicopters move to and from Odiham are between my house and Lasham. Again, I know this as I frequently see them (except for the odd occasion when they come over my house!)
My post was merely an observation, prompted by earlier posts and was in no way aiming to have a dig at Lasham gliding.
​​​​​And as a local resident to Lasham too for over 20 years and someone who flies in this airspace very frequently for a living I am simply pointing out to you the score with the working relationships I've had with the stakeholders you brought up. Your wording was not clear and implied that Flybe would have to consider Lasham's activities which to the untrained eye is plausible but in reality with the complexities of the airspace structure of the UK is perfectly normal as above 5500ft at Basingstoke is controlled by Swanwick for London/Solent outbounds and inbounds, an area totally off limits to the majority of light aircraft and all gliders. Hopefully that clears what you have been observing up :-)
​​​​