PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - “Delayed due to operational reasons”
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2018, 18:26
B2N2

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner
What the sky gods are telling us is that Aviation is basically a f#cked up industri with little or no control of many links in the chain? Nice to know.
I sure hope they will be as overbearing, as they expect us lowly SFL to be, next time they buy a product and things go tits up.
Somehow I very much doubt it.
Per
Well think again.
You don’t buy a ‘product’ you buy the agreement for transportation and I’m sure the word reasonable is in there. There’s been a slew of ICAO conventions outlining everything from hijack and hostage taking to damaged luggage.
The flight crew are the two or three people that have the least amount of influence over the timeliness of the operations. On the ground we’re as powerless as turtles on their shell.
Thanks to the likes of Mc Leary and other soulless zombie overlords like him this industry has been hollowed out.
The tug may have the name of the airline on it but the driver is a minimum wage employee of a subcontractor who won the contract with the lowest bid. Gate agents wear the airline uniform or scarf but their employment contract is in somebody else’s name.
This combined with usually brutal write up policies doesn’t encourage loyalty to the final service provided. Which is on time performance.
Now mix in the territorial behavior of many of the subparts involved and it’s now everybody else’s fault but mine. That’s been stated above.
Ground Crew writing it up as a flight crew delay, flight crew writing up as a gate delay, gate agents writing up as a security delay bin cause demerits can cause you to loose your job.
None of this comes back as line items in a spread sheet.
And no, aviation is not comparable with any other industry.