PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fast Jet Display Safety
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2018, 16:10
Just This Once...

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by LOMCEVAK
- If I fly on an erect down 45 line at a safe height and fly a 360 degree roll, the automatic recovery system should not trigger. However, if I stop the roll inverted and immediately pull full back stick the high pitch rates achievable by modern fighters would almost certainly be able to beat any recovery algorithm
A number of years ago we (the UK) did look at protection system that moved away from a recovery algorithm to a dynamic flight envelope protection system. The idea behind it was to prevent or frustrate any manoeuvre that could not be manually (or automatically) recovered from.

In the example you give above the system would allow the 'roll inverted' bit but limit/frustrate/prevent the worrisome pitch input. Alternatively if you had pitched-up hard first and then rolled the system would push back in roll when the lift vector became ominous. In a way it was more akin to SPILS intervention on the Tornado (physically harder to pull back with increasing AoA) but in all axes with terrain/aircraft/store limit awareness. In the sim environment you could still deliberately crash it but you had to work really hard to do so. For the Douglas Adams fans think 'throwing-yourself-at-the-ground-but-missing' - I think that line made it into the TP report....

The original idea behind the programme was to eliminate the alarms and overt interventions used with traditional GCAS whilst providing care-free handling, without ever fully-seizing control from a pilot operating at the limits of achievable flight. Without a platform customer I guess the details are archived at dstl or with whatever DEC-TA morphed into.