PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senator John McCain
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2018, 09:30
glad rag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Davita
Senator John McCain was the Senator for our region when I lived in Scottsdale, Az. We're Canadian but dearly wanted to get a green card and stay in Scottsdale instead of snowbirding to and fro Vancouver.
He had a book signing in Phoenix which I attended and bought his book "Worth the fighting for".
Before he started his speech, about why he wrote the book, I sat next to a young lady who would get up and whisper stuff to the Senator...I said "Do you know the Senator?" and she advised she was his Arizona secretary. I then chatted to her about my desire to get PR in the States as we owned a home in Scottsdale and wanted to permanently reside. I also added that the Senator and I were the same age, I was born in Scotland, and both had similar military aviation careers. His in the US Navy and mine in the RAF.
She whispered to him and he asked me to stay until after the book ceremony was complete.
I had a very enjoyable short conversation as he indicated to his secretary to take notes. He took an interest in my politics as I had spent many years in so many different countries prior to retirement....I more or less agreed that the government he envisaged was in tandem to my own ideals.

I still have his book signed ...to David....John McCain.
We exchanged cards and I thought no more of the event...it was just a lucky happenstance that I got to talk with him anyway.
But no...a few days later I got a call to bring all my relevant documents to his office. They were copied and the nice secretary said they will look at all the laws to see if we could become PR.
A month later another call from the secretary herself apologizing that they could not find a way to get a PR more than I already had applied for...she wished me luck and asked if there was anything else she could do for me. I said "Yes...where can I get a refund on this book?" She laughed and said she was going to tell John McCain what I said.

The Senator has just rejected all remedy for his cancer and co-incidentally so did I for the Colon Metastasis that has attached to my liver. Both our prognosis are unclear but, like John, I've had a full life and enjoyed every minute.
John McCain personifies what the American way of life was intended...he came from a long line of military, loyal to defend America, dutiful in all endeavors and sympathetic to those in need.

Edit: Sad to report that Senator John McCain has just died...RIP John.....You were an American hero.
A full and good life spent in the service of his country.

A fitting eulogy.