PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Sues For Forced Retirement
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2018, 15:58
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by winglit
I know so many career commercial pilots who can't afford to retire at 65 because of the string of ex wives that need to be paid off!
I've heard comments such as this made for years about why the old guys can't move on; not sure how accurate it is to claim that older pilots have a "... string of ex wives ..." disproportionate to the population at large. I have my suspicions about why such comments are made and by whom but I'll bite my lip due to a lack of reliable data to support or debunk the allegation.

One must be careful about statistics and where he gets them. I've tried a time or two but came up empty handed. Maybe someone can provide proper data from an independent, unimpeachable source ?

This is all I've found is this pop culture mention of pilot divorce rate:

"We’ve noticed that people often search for “police divorce rate”, “teacher divorce rate”, and “pilot divorce rate”. They must think for one reason or the other that these three professions are most likely to get separated, but have we got the news for them – none of those professions is among our eleven. For the sake of reference you should know that teachers have a divorce rate of 15.49, police officers 15.01, and pilots, even less than that, with their rate being 10.96, whereas the national average for all occupations is around 16.96%. So it turns out that their rates are even lower than the national average! (Yes, you just go ahead and marry a pilot!)"

https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/1...-rates-595076/