PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Go-Around question
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2018, 04:40
felixthecat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesty Morgan

1, you’ve already been told that you cannot just disengage approach mode in the 737.
2, if you go around above a lower MAA then you’ll be descending anyway.
3, I’m sure ATC won’t mind if I descend to 1499’ before I go around to 1500’, would they?

Stupid comment.

1, you’ve already been told that you cannot just disengage approach mode in the 737..... but you have a method where in effect you have the same by deselecting the ILS and placing the aircraft into an attitude stabilised mode. and letting the aircraft smoothly capture the MAA.
2, if you go around above a lower MAA then you’ll be descending anyway...... your descending slightly in a g/a (50ft or so if that), in the example above it was talking about more than slight a decent. A go around from way above the MAA and then descending hundreds of feet only to pass through through it, disconnecting the AP, large increase in thrust, cancelling any oral warnings, to climb back up, level off, re-engage AP etc etc doesn't make sense to me.
3, I’m sure ATC won’t mind if I descend to 1499’ before I go around to 1500’, would they?...... your going to push the GA at 1499....impressive, then next time when you miss by 2 feet and you press it at 1501ft and you go to an unrestricted climb they might mind, and before you say you will do it slightly lower than that....how much slightly? Is there an SOP in company X that says push g/a at x number of feet below ? I would be surprised. Then there is the A/P disconnecting in the 737 because of the G/A and the large increase in thrust etc etc, why? You can do it much more efficiently and much more smoothly.

As for the stupid comment.... its the same thing, I was using that argument as a hyperbole. You don't bust levels for the sake of it. That would be stupid.

How do you cope when ATC surprises you and sends you around just below, at or slightly above MAA?........ The operative words there are just above or just below. Then you deal with it as you describe. This discussion was about when you have plenty of time.

Last edited by felixthecat; 25th Aug 2018 at 05:29.