PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orderly Dog
Thread: Orderly Dog
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2018, 20:39
BATCO

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fire!

As the Station Rock at RAF Swinderby (about 1984-5) I was responsible for three main areas: initial GDT for all SRT recruits; GDT for the Station (and Lincolnshire County Military HQ); and the Station Fire Section. When, as OO, I was told of a fire in a MQ I duly ordered the Fire FS to the scene. The FS protested that he was there to respond to potential flying incidents not actual fires in MQ. I overruled him and the Fire Section subsequently rescued a lady from the upper floor of the burning MQ well before the local authority fire service arrived.

Carpetted by the Station Commander, I was informed that I didn't control the Fire Section - that honour belonged, he said, to OC ATC - and that I had put the EFT crews at risk by removing their crash/rescue cover. I replied that as far as I recalled I wrote their F6442s, was OC their barrack block and the Fire Section building, and heard their (many, many) Orderly Rooms as Junior Subordinate Commander. If OC ATC wanted to take on those tasks I'd be very happy. I also added for good measure that they had most certainly saved the lady's life.

The carpetting ended abruptly, I retained the Fire Section and the Station Commander bought me a beer at the next happy hour. And I'd do the same again.

Regards
Batco