PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orderly Dog
Thread: Orderly Dog
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2018, 19:14
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
I've posted this tale a couple of times before, but a quick search tells me the last time was 4 1/2 years ago so I guess it's time for a re-post:

In the very late 60s - 68 or 69 - the baby pilot APO Teeters was a student at Linton or Syerston (for curious reasons I spent time at both).

One time one was Orderly Officer (OO) being "looked after" by a aged (at least 30!) Orderly Sergeant (OS). One of the later duties - maybe 2130 or so - said:

Draw Commcen keys from Guardroom, 'phone Commcen, go and check security etc. Which we duly did - except the 'phone call.

" But Sergeant - it clearly says 'phone first!"

"Trust me sir..............."

Now the Commcen (WRAF manned) was co-located with PBX (ditto),and was also where Duty WRAF hung out. About 5 girls in all, with 2 or 3 bunks (double or triple).

Now in those days, Airpersons' uniforms were made of blue blankets,known affectionally (NOT!) as "Hairy Blues". Which irritated exposed skin more than somewhat - so the girls had removed their skirts.

I should also add that this was before tights had gained general acceptance.

Net result: OO and OS confronted by 5 x Section Officer Harveys. (Poorer quality shirts, but good legs!)

Which explained the lack of a 'phone call. (Thank you Sergeant!). And they were in mid brew-up/fry-up.

"Oh hello Sir, fancy a brew and a bacon butty?" (I assure you nothing else was offered )

A stitch up for the baby pilot for sure - but a most welcome one which I remember in detail.
And I STILL remember!