PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATR at home base or A320 abroad...
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2018, 18:05
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hugmie
I've burned a couple of years flying at low hour corporate gigs and feel like my career progression will be further stunted by taking an ATR job when I have a jet one right in front of me.
My worry is I may regret this a few years down the line if things start to slow down, I could get stuck in the turbo prop league.
Yes, your career progress will be stunted and very likely you will get stuck in the TP league, if you choose ATR.

It's not necessarily a bad thing; as a tyro ATR F/O I've come across quite a few skippers that were happy to spend 10-15-20 years they had left before retirement in the ATR's LHS and harboured no desire to go flying shinyjets. Maybe what worked for them can work for you.

On the other hand, I would love to fly the ATR first and foremost, I feel like it would be a really fun aircraft and more challenging than the bus.
Having flown both I really can't single out either as being more challenging or more fun. Yes, they have different peculiarities and go different places in the different manner, but for life of me, I can't say I had more fun or more problems on one or another, though my life was easier, better air-conditioned and less vibrating on the Bus.

Originally Posted by EMB-145LR
A flight deck is just a flight deck, and the shiny jet feeling wears off after a month or so.
True, yet my predicament is greatly alleviated by the fact that my shiny jet flying pays me double rate compared to what I had as Q400 skipper and gives me three times longer vacation to spend the extra cash on.