PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GALWAY
Thread: GALWAY
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2018, 16:25
tibbs87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by virginblue
On various aviation websites detailing the history of Galway airport or Ryanair it is mentioned that Ryanair started services from there to LTN in spring 1988. Am I correct that those flights were initially operated with the HS748s as the first ATR42 was only introduced in the fall of 1988?

And as we are just at it: The HS748 were initially used for Ryanair's DUB-LTN flights until they could be replaced with RomBAC 1-11s which meant that the HS748 moved further south to Waterford to replace the Ryanair Bandeirante there. Were the 748s used at any other regional airports in Ireland other than Waterford and - presumably - Galway before the ATR42s took over in 1988/89?

PS: I have also seen an article that mentions Ryanair flights from Sligo, but my recollection is that the only route than DUB that operated from Sligo was Manchester, opb Aer Arann. I do not recall any London flights from there at all.
There's a timeline of history on the official Sligo Airport website: Sligo Airport History ? Sligo Airport

''1990: Ryanair commenced operating the first cross channel commercial service from Sligo Airport with a flght to London Luton using an ATR42.''