PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orderly Dog
Thread: Orderly Dog
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2018, 09:11
Wander00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, a couple of stories

Watton mid 60s, I am newly minted Canberra driver and the only white card pilot officer pilot in Signals Command. Over the weekend had been in play with drama group. S"Mixed" dressing room, and stunning girl from comcen down to her Section Officer Harveys. Monday night I am OO (first time). Same girl on defaulters, looking like she had slept in her uniform. Gave me that "you saw me in stockings and suspenders on Saturday - you wouldn't dare" look. Deep breath - "Sgt, please send this airwoman to sort herself out and re-inspect her at 2200". "Sir!" thundered O Sgt, and in a whisper "10 out of 10 Sir!"

Nearly 20 years later and SDO at Binbrook when the phone goes at 00 silly. Guy on the phone says he is Strike Command something or other and gives me two code words, which against the rules I write down. Check words in SDO book, "Station Alert" (and non exercise), so ring Ops and ask them to hit the hooter. I go to Ops to find Stn Cdr (DC) incandescent and calling me all the names under the sun. Apparently there was not supposed to be an alert and comes of having scribblies as SDO, etc.
Dear Henry P, SLOPS, says come with me, and takes me through the whole sequence, I show him my illicit piece of paper, he goes to OC Ops, who takes Stn Cdr on one side and takes him through sequence Some hrumphing and Stn Cdr grudgingly accepts I had taken the correct action. . Did not give much for the chances of the guy that rang me. Later message passed round sqns that error was at HQ STC or 11 Gp, I forget which, and OC Accts not to blame

Finally, spare a thought for the officer from Command Accounts at Brampton and of the Jewish faith who volunteered to do Christmas Duty Staff Officer, and got the Lockerbie disaster to deal with