PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 17:21
Tommyc9494

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What’s my commercial pilot chances like

Hi everyone I’m new to this form so apologies if iv put this in the wrong place or if this question has already been asked by someone else I couldn’t find one that was close enough to my situation I’m ideally hoping to speak to commercial airline pilots who have entered the industry in a similar way to I’m hoping to or anyone with flight experience

So I’ll try to explain my situation as best as I can I was born with leg problems which resulted in me having operations from the age of one and they never stopped again till about the age of 18 I’m now in my early 20s and all is thankfully well but due to my 20+ operations I missed a lot of time in school and was there for placed in the lower sets where tbh I under achieved drastically because of a few reasons one I was still missing on average 3 months a year and when I was in attendance I never put any effort in because to be blunt I was leaps ahead of the kids in my group so I never needed to what an idiot I was in fact I had teachers say I’m an under achiever and proud of it then to top it off when I reached year 11 I was diagnosed with severe dyslexia due to these reasons I left with grades ranging from cs to es and went straight into work

At the age of about 20 I decided to apply to easyJet’s academy if I recall correctly but put my sisters grades on I got invited to attend an interview and to sit a few assessments but they also wanted my gcse certificates so I never went and then at the age of 22 I got a flight experience bought for me and when I went up I spoke about how I’d love to be a commercial airline pilot and that I should go for it because I’m a natural he was probably trying to sell me lessons though lol but he did point out something I read about not needing gcse as long as I had the correct license

So my questions are

1 Obviously knowing I’d never get into an airlines academy if I did decide to pay the huge costs to become fully qualified what would my chances be of getting a job with my grades

2 am I even going to pass a medical with my lower leg condition even though it’s all sorted know it was club foot and was rather severe in my younger years

3 and finally iv currently got about 10 k towards flying lessons or investing into a business but that is still way short of what I need to become qualified in the field so I’d have to get a loan or some sort of finance to complete the training would that be possible

Thank you all in advance