PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASW and 1982 South Atlantic War
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 09:56
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dragartist
Having read the report that YS posted there are still lots of things that will probably never enter the public domain.
Most of the speakers at the RAF historical group are senior. I just wondered, whilst I have a little grey matter left if I should write down some of the things I was involved in as a very junior member of the team. I never had the complete picture, rightly so. As the years have progressed I try to put into context some of the stuff I did back then. I wish I had kept a diary. I know most of the design drawings and files from the time were destroyed.
Yes, you should write it down, please. Although it is generally the case that the more accounts there are the more confusion caused for historians when there are differences between the sources, the more sources the better.

I think that Marcantilan has corresponded with the PhD student writing his thesis on the air war, and it’s true that more books and articles will start appearing- if the stuff dealing with Chile is declassified after 40 years (rather than being closed for longer upon review), I imagine some more material will come out. I’m looking forward to reading Marcantilan’s book when it comes out.