PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Control column flailing during the flare - a dangerous practice by some pilots.
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 07:10
Bergerie1

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts
pineteam,

I think you are right. I remember one very well qualified ex-RAF Lightning pilot who clearly had done well as a fighter pilot, but who, when confronted with difficult conditions at Chicago, was unable to cope. As a fighter pilot, under the direction of a ground controller he had obviously been well able to perform, but maybe with only a few tasks at any one time. In the civil environment, when faced with the multiple inputs of flying on instruments in a three-crew aircraft in a hectic ATC environment in a complex area in bad weather he experienced great difficulty. These same issues had arisen during his simulator training, but they became a major problem during route training.

Was this a limited ability to multi-task? He continually forgot things and over-controlled. He did not complete the course.

Last edited by Bergerie1; 23rd Aug 2018 at 08:35. Reason: To improve the clarity of what I wanted to say