PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captain’s expectations of a new FO.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 14:35
TPE Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vessbot
Disagree, if the Captain is doing something against a chapter and verse (which sounds like a matter of procedure, and not technique), he needs to cut it out. It is the FO's job to point out the error and put a stop to it. Additionally, the Captain should stop justifying his behavior by attributing the conflict to the FO's motivations (trying to look good) and take responsibility for himself.
Ever heard the phrase, "1more than 1 way to skin a cat"? There are plenty of ways to operate the aircraft within the framework of a companies Policies and SOP's.
As an F/O, not surprisingly you have clearly missed the point. The "technique" you were taught by a training Captain, might not be the "technique" I was taught by my training Captain.
The naivety of your statement clearly emphasises my point. No 2 pilots operate the aircraft exactly the same way every time.
What descent profile do you use? What about below 10,000ft? When cleared for an ILS, do you are arm the APPR immediately or wait until you are within the capture region of the ILS (as per manufacturer's guidance)? At what altitude do you take gear on an ILS? Do you activate approach phrase everytime, of do you let the plane activate it by itself when it over fly's the psuedo waypoint?
Every question just asked is open to technique or personal judgement based on circumstances. YOUR way is not the ONLY way.
When your a Captain being hassled over trivial crap by the F/O all day you might understand.