PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What rank is "Master Pilot"
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2018, 17:43
Cornish Jack

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts
Some interesting stuff here!
Spent 35 plus years in blue, the last 19 as MACR - as someone pointed out, the best rank in the RAF! Had to refuse two commissioning opportunities to stay there! (would have meant a pay cut, so no contest!) Unusual for rank and trade in having lower case cfs on my Air Force List entry. 'Ness' Edwards was one of my operators in the 10 Sim at Brize - we had worked together previously in the late, lamented Transport Command. Service experience was littered with Masters of all types. 'Bim' Ward, John Loveridge, Jack Huntingdon, 'Knobby' Clark, Jock Riddoch, Leo Penczek et al. Knobby was my introduction to the mysteries of the hover in the Whirly 10, Bim Ward demo'ed both Chipmunk and Single Pin. I think I saw a mention of M/P Morton - I believe it was his son who pitched up at Brize in a twin light turbo -'Queen', 'Duchess'?? and kindly showed me around while reminiscing about his dad. Going from blue at Brize to civvies at BA was an eye-opener, finance enhancer and a startling indication of how staff CAN be looked after!