PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Control column flailing during the flare - a dangerous practice by some pilots.
Old 21st Aug 2018, 13:48
stator vane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pressures!!!

My first flight as a student in a C150: the instructor did the takeoff and climbed to a safe altitude and then gave me controls.
after about a minute, he yelled at the top of his voice, “I have control” then started moving the controls rapidly and almost to full movement and continued yelling, “did you see me flying like this???how does it ******* feel when someone flies like this ****???!!!!”

Then he calmed down and said (as best I can remember from 1978) “pressures....control pressures. Not movements. remember you’re flying through a liquid...air is much like water....most displacements will correct themselves if you only hold the controls in the position that has been working for most of the time before the displacement by the air. You only need to maintain pitch, roll and power. The rest will take care of itself”

he had been a Huey pilot in Vietnam. Perhaps some on this forum will remember him? Gordon S. Hall.
his instructor techniques were not always PC but his heart was in the right place and he took a genuine concern for his students and wanted them to strive to be as smooth as silk as well as safe as houses.

I suspect most of the new FOs only are doing what they see their instructors do. Even in calm conditions, the minute the A/P comes off, the control column is constantly moving too much, correcting the overcontrol they just did for no reason.
i find that when I try to point out what they’re doing, most get angry like I was cursing their mother or girlfriend. A few listen. Very few. Most take it personal.

The ones I think might listen, I try to show, “let go of the controls....see...nothing happens! It stays on the same path quite well. Don’t move the aileron or elevator unless you really need to. And then, think pressures...hold the airplane where you want it to be”