PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2018, 12:18
Danny42C

MPN11 and Chugalug,

Please - you're turning me crimson with embarrassment with all this undeserved praise ! Knock it off ! (and we didn't go round hugging ourselves like great Jessies in my day, if you don't mind). Same again ? - why, thankee, kind sir - that'll do nicely!
...agreed with him that the Battle of Britain was merely a draw!...
In military terms (losses on both sides), probably correct - a score draw. But I take your point, Chugalug. However, it was one of those draws that is far more advantageous to one side than another. Hitler had to destroy the RAF before his planned "Sealion" could be launched with any hope of success .... He failed .... We had to keep the RAF in being as the last-ditch defence of Britain .... We succeeded.

"Hitler knows", growled Churchill, "that he must crush us in these islands or lose the War". He did not crush us and he did lose the war - and "the rest is history".

Now as to the second tranche of megan's Captain Brown assessment of the Ju-87, Brown has the advantage of me here - he flew the thing and I did not. "Whereof you know nothing", said Wittengstein, "thereof should you be silent". But I'll have a go ....

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 21st Aug 2018 at 12:23. Reason: Spacing.