PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fix to Fix
Thread: Fix to Fix
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2018, 05:36
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n5296s

I have been asking myself the same question, the only answer I can come up with is these people are bored, a few weeks back I found myself teaching a young FO how to do a fix using one NDB some place in Greenland. My excuse was the boredom on a long oceanic sector and the need to stay awake, I can only guess at what the auditors will think if my paperwork gets pulled for inspection.

From a navigation point of view it was a pointless exercise as the ten minutes of ADF bearings and drawing on the map proved to be considerably less accurate than the fix that was available on my iPad. Apart from reenforcing the accuracy of modern navigation kit the message it sent the FO was that My natural position in the scheme of things was as Flight Engineer on a Constalation or stratocruser.

As for talk of the KNS80 you are just like me........showing your age, I just need to add that I preferred the KNS81 linked to the KN63 DME as it had more waypoints and that feature avoided too much re-program in in the air.