PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What rank is "Master Pilot"
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2018, 18:46
Danny42C

Master Pilot: How it All Came About.

During the War, the bulk of RAF aircrew were promoted to Sergeant when they got their aircrew wings. If they lasted one year, they got to F/Sgt. If they lasted two years (not many did) they became Warrant Officers.

But there had always been a bit of muttering about this in the Sergean's Messes from Ground Trade sergeants. You could see their point of view. They had sweated their guts out and kept their noses clean for maybe 15 years to reach the rank kudos and (comparitive) luxury of the Sgt's Mess. And here were these kids with perhaps six month's service getting it all on a plate ? 'Tain't right !

Postwar, the Air House sympathised. How would it be if we still let these parvenus into the Sgt's Mess, but made it clear that that they were not "proper" Sgts at all, but just aircrew allowed into the Mess in recognition of their pay scales and skilled status ?

Worth a try ! The "Four-star Brandy" scheme was introduced (in 1947 ?). I may be a bit wrong in detail, but I think tha aircrew Sgts became Pilot 3 (P3); F/Sgts=P2 and they did not have a P1 - he became a "Master", and wore the barathea uniform of a Warrant Officer. As for the "star" badges, I've forgotten, but you can (or could) get it all on Google.

After two or three years, this idea had become the butt of so much hilarity and general derision that the Air House turned tail, and went back to the wartime system. But face must not be lost, one facet of the 4-Star business was kept. The Masters did not go back to Warrant Officer, but remained Masters ! So now you had Master aircrew, F/Sgts and Sgts again, until all the "old Hairies" were finally pensioned off in the sixties), and only young gentlemen were allowed to be Pilots and Navs now (but other aircrew categories were still recruited from the "scruffs").

Many of these old boys in later years gravitated into ATC, which in any case had been invented after the war as a "Sunset Home" for them.

Sneer ? Not at all - this is from an old Sgt/Pilot who was two weeks overdue for his "crown" before he was commissioned - but never did get the money (or the crown !)

Hope that clears it up.