PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal Accident Inquiries and Inquest
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2018, 16:39
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If ones contention is that aircrew are being sent about their duties, in peace or war, in (or on, beside or using) equipment that is either not fit for purpose or is unsafe then there may be mileage in some form of inquiry - however if it is, or has been, the case then it is, or has been, the case for every second that the equipment has been used and not just in the cases that have resulted in injury or fatality. (Unless of course mitigations in place have varied over time).

If you want to find out ‘what else was going on’? You’re not going to find it out in an inquiry into an isolated event (unless the convening authority set a wide boundary to the scope which is unlikely in my view).

An inquiry into the airworthiness and safe operation (safe to operate/ operated safely) of the Tornado aircraft over its time in service might be what you’re after if that is the case.

My personal (experience based) view is that SIs are thorough.

I feel that in some cases people call for fresh inquiries in the hope of hearing the same thing again from a source viewed as more impartial or more authoritative - as opposed to hearing something new.