PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Control column flailing during the flare - a dangerous practice by some pilots.
Old 20th Aug 2018, 12:58
Dan_Brown

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very close formation flying aside, we should try and do as the auto pilot does. To me the autopilot is the smoothest guy/gal in town. Now they're real smooth. In case you haven't noticed, on a non FBW aircraft, the control column will hardly move most of the time, when the A/P is strutting it's stuff. I have seen pilots manipulate the controls almost as smooth as the A/P but not quite.Some people will never be smooth. some people are "natural" pilots some aren't. However in airline operations, piloting skills/smoothness appear to be well down the list priorities. Apart from extra fuel burn, passenger discomfort. lack of finesse and wearing yourself out, not many people seem to care. The smoothest I've witnessed in my long career was an Ex WW2 mosquito pathfinder pilot. You either have it or you haven't. Period. Would loved to have flown with Bob Hoover for eg. he was of course good to see outside the cockpit but my money is on he would have been equally impressive inside the cockpit also.<br /><br />IMHO, of course.

Last edited by Dan_Brown; 20th Aug 2018 at 22:07.