PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the impasse impassable?
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2018, 22:44
Kotuku

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks,

Further to my Post yesterday. I know it is a difficult decision to make, whether you stay in Cathay, or you go elsewhere. You are all praying silently and hoping they will finally see the light and make it all better. Do you REALLY think that is going to happen, with the Management team they have in place in Cathay and Swires? They have let you down to many times to believe in them and trust them anymore.

There are comments about a possible economic downturn coming, maybe a big one, but that is all above my pay grade and you just have to deal with the cards you have.

When you look at all the items that go into making your life in Cathay and Hong Kong satisfactory; Housing, Pay, Education, Medical Insurance, Staff Travel, Rostering, Bases, Fleet Options and whatever else you can think of, Cathay is not cutting it anymore. I know it is not great in some other airlines either and there is a definite and concerted strategy going on by some airlines in particular, to denigrate the position of an Airline Pilot, even though the world is facing a massive Pilot shortfall in the years ahead, even if there is an economic drama. It is becoming too expensive now for many young, aspiring Pilots to do the training they need to do and when they do qualify, the starting wages are so low, that it is becoming a serious obstacle.

Since I have been Retired, it has opened my eyes to many other careers, that I am positive I would have enjoyed just as much as I did with Aviation, especially my Airforce days and early days in Cathay. There are many other fields like Medicine, Architecture, Engineering, both Civil and Mechanical, Finance and many others, where you are home most nights, not permanently jet lagged and well reimbursed, that if I was starting again in life, I would seriously reassess my options. I know that once the ‘flying bug’ hits you, it is hard to shake off, but what we do in the Airlines now, is not what I call ‘pure flying’ anymore. It is aviating and it is not good on your health. I am now having issues with Sleep Apnea and a degree of Tinnitus, which I am certain has resulted from the years of living in a constant state of disruption to your Circadian Rhythms and also the last few years flying the very noisy Boeing 747-8F. The Boeing Company should be held to account, for producing an aircraft that is so badly designed, with regard to the health and well-being of the Pilots who have to fly them. Whilst it is a nice Piloting experience to operate something like the B747, unfortunately they have given very little thought and consideration to the cockpit noise levels and over a long career, it comes back and bites you. Be warned folks and I would also make a comment about personal weight. If you are carrying excess kilos, then you really need to do something about it, now, otherwise it will hurt you later in life. Trust me on that one. It is not an easy fix, with the lifestyle you lead, but you need to get onto it ASAP.

One of the many things I have really enjoyed in Retirement, is simple things like hopping into my nice vehicle, drive down to a big retail outlet, park out front, go inside and choose whatever I need from huge selections, then get back in my car and drive home. Don’t have to worry about getting in a badly driven taxi or bus, overcrowded MTR and carrying plastic bags everywhere, dodging people who can’t get off their damn mobile phones. I have joined a nice Golf Club for very reasonable Membership Fees and had the choice of about 20 others nearby, unlike in Hong Kong. I have recently taken up Mountain Biking and it is great fun. Harder than I thought, but fun!

No place on earth is perfect with Climate and compromise is the order of the day and I don’t find the NZ Winters to be that nice, but I never enjoyed the hot and humid Hong Kong Summers either. Each to their own and what suits their own requirements and needs. If Cathay are not going to do it properly and Base larger numbers of their Pilots somewhere, where they want to be, then why would you want to continue to live in Hong Kong, in most likely a pokey little, badly designed apartment. I know the Housing issue is a big problem for them, but if they are not going to do it properly, or give more Bases, then why do you want to endure living in Hong Kong, if your family is not really happy and there are other options out there.

If you can’t educate your kids in good Schooling, or have your family properly covered with Medical Insurance, then why stay?

I know it is a scary decision to make, but honestly folks, stop letting them get away with this awful treatment of you. They despise you with a passion that I cannot see changing, not unless there is a major change in the personnel and Management who are running Cathay at the moment. These people couldn’t run a hot bath, never mind a modern airline. Any Company that despises its staff and treats them as badly as this lot does, then I am afraid, the writing is on the wall for them. It is the people and staff that make a Company and certainly an Airline and treat them badly at your peril, as at some point, they will have had enough and I believe we are nearly there now in Cathay, if not already.

I take my hat off to posters like Trafalgar, who have been carrying the torch for a while and others are joining in, but folks, you need to bring this to a head and either bring about major change in the way they treat you, or make the decision and get out and go elsewhere. This Company at the moment are not worthy and they don’t deserve you. Ever since Rod Eddington decided that we were overpaid for what we do, the writing has been on the wall and it has been downhill for the last 19+ years. How long are you going to put up with it, or do something about it? The Checkers and Trainers need to lead the way. I am sure they have financial commitments, as everybody tends to live up to their means, however there are a lot of younger folks who are suffering and have been for a while, with training and promotion blocks, so the sooner it is brought to a head and fixed, the better for everybody and in the long term. I think the thought of Cathay losing their AOC, due lack of Training and Checking people, may focus a few minds.

For those of you worried about Retiring, don’t be, it is great and as long as you have planned for things to do, you will be fine. It is easy to waste money, if you are into expensive cars, lots of ‘toys’ and doing lots of travelling around, but if you live sensibly, you will be fine and enjoy it. You can even do a part-time job, if you get bored, to get out of the house and keeping the brain etc going and meeting people. I mix now with good people, who whilst they know what I did career wise, we all have our own things to do and we hardly ever talk about anything to do with aviation and flying. I have ticked that box and now it is up on a shelf and I am onto other interests and challenges and looking forward to them all and spending time with my two lovely Granddaughters.

Sorry for the long Post, but I wanted to say a few things and let you know that life outside of Cathay and Hong Kong is actually very pleasant.

Best Regards,

PH.