PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private ATC Training
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2018, 11:05
Barnaby the Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying184
I wouldn't complain too much... on your new TATC salary + £240 a month tax free you are taking home more cash than Student ATCOs at Band 1 units (which the majority of NATS units are). When we went through the college we took home £900 a month.....!

Like you I very much welcome the increase in TATC pay, but can only wonder what they are going to do when your courses are posted to band 1 units.... pay cut?
I'd echo that.
Clearly it was a big decision and some risk to become a trainee with a family and mortgage commitment. I admire anyone that has that determination, but that was your decision based on the terms offered. Almost all of the 45 students that began my course were in bedsits, or b and b's.
Remember, once the college bit has finished, the studying does not stop.
As to the original poster. It is a full time course as echoed above, and you do really need to put the hours in after the day has finished.
Paying for it yourself is a huge financial gamble and whilst there is a massive shortfall of ATCO's at the moment, there is also allot of un-validated ADI students still looking for a job. Units need previously validated and multi rated ATCO's. They are prepared to wait if it means overall less training time and cost.
ATC is a fantastic career and I hope the OP finds a way to make it work.