PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2018, 14:06
Danny42C

jjayjackson (#12134),

In the tradition of this noble company, and in my (dishonorary) capacity as Grand (?) Old Man of this, the finest Thread on the Forum, let me welcome you aboard. Draw up a pew (if you can find one) in our cybercrewroom - and give the virtual stove a poke !

Matters arising:

1: I never knew the USAAC had Sergeant-Pilots in WWII (but obviously they did), presumably recruited from the hoi-polloi without the magic two years "College" - "University" to us. Never met one, but as an old Sgt-Pilot myself, would like a natter with one. Anyone know when this started and stopped and why ?

2: Col. Blyth Posted here about it on this Thread donkey's years ago, but "Search this Thread" (predictably) drew a blank ("chocolate teapots" come to mind).

3: Col. Blyth earned his DFC ! It was not healthy to fly over Berlin for half an hour in 1943 in broad daylight. Couldn't a FW190 or an AA shell get up to a Mk.XI PR, then ?

4: "Every pilot should have a chance to fly a Spitfire", the man said. Amen to that, say I.

5: The M.O. (Doc Savage) was able to take home movie film - and the censors let him send it back home to the US, in the middle of a war ? Didn't their "Security" utter a cheep ? In Burma we were not officially allowed to have still cameras (still less film) in case we were captured, and Jap Intelligence could make use of the material. Perhaps they reckoned that, by 1943, the war was over, and Britain was at peace ?

You see, when you throw a stone into a pond ............