PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Honest Advice.... PLEASE.
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2018, 11:10
Tagzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in a sort of similar position regarding the need for some advice! The job I currently do is very physical and I fear I may be out of a job in the coming years due to an injury that simply isn't going to get much better. I have always been interested in aviation and my dream was to become a pilot, but a lack direction in school and then funds in later life has put that dream to bed. I am really, really interested in becoming an ATC however as I do meet the requirements, plus the lack of a need to fund your training has made this very appealing to me. I am also quite interested in the work itself, going back to my enthusiasm for aviation. The problem I have is like the OP, I have a young family and a mortgage in the north west. Now I would certainly be willing to relocate for my job, even to Scotland or NI, but I am wondering how easy and for how long a transfer closer to home would take? Also regarding the training; if you are sent to Jerez, would you have to provide your own accommodation there? I've also just read on the NATS website that the starting salary for a trainee is £17k. Is this from day one of employment? I only ask because I'm sure I read somewhere else on the website that the starting salary for trainees whilst in college was c.£13k. This quite clearly presents a problem if said training takes place in Hampshire, where property is considerably more expensive where I currently live.

Thanks for all your help!