PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged Diabetes Thread
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2018, 10:33
3db

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glad rag, pleased it is working for you.

When I was diagnosed T2 by an AME in 2004 I weighed 127kg and am 1.85m tall (well overweight) I have lost 25-30kg over time (initially fast, then slowly), but my blood readings increased. I was then told to reduce my alcohol intake, which was around 30units a week, mainly real ale (Beer). I now consume around 5 units a month, blood readings increased (also see #1 below). Then told to cut carbs from my diet, I did, blood readings shot up, reintroduced carbs and they slowly came down. Next I was told to take more exercise, I initially started walking, now have an allotment and garden. Blood reading no significant change. As Tescoapp said, diabetes is far more complex than medics think. I feel this could explain why something works for somebody, but doesn’t work for another person. Started insulin 6 weeks ago, blood readings now coming down towards normal, not there yet, but well on the way. While some of this is from memory, most is not. I have a spreadsheet for the last 12 years with all my readings (Weight, Blood pressure, pulse, fasting mmol/L and HbA1c when that test became available).

As for a no carb diet to reverse diabetes, I don't think the NHS would spend 20% of the entire budget on diabetics (T1 & T2) if such a simple solution was available.

#1. Real ale has large quantities of Vitamin B in it, as the yeast is alive, to produce the secondary fermentation in the pub barrel. Long term use of Metformin (the drug often given to T2 diabetics) requires you take a vitamin B supplement (its in the small print on the leaflet with the box), but nobody told me this. I did not realise this, when I reduce my beer intake. I developed a problem with my eyes, the nerve controlling them could not get the 2 images to merge, as the consultant said at the UK hospital, I was effectively blind in one eye. My Turkish wife was very concerned, so we went to Turkey to see a Turkish consultant. He said he comes across this two or sometimes three times a year, suggested I take a Turkish Vitamin B supplement – a brand very common in Turkey, particularly for diabetics. Within 4 days, I could see an improvement, within 10 days I was back to normal. On returning to the UK I was still under the local consultant. She looked at the tables and told me to stop taking them immediately. The quantities of vitamins was far too high to be safe, I was likely damaging my body. I stopped, eye problem returned within 4 weeks, re-started the Turkish Vitamin B and within 2 weeks things were back to normal. That was about 6 years ago, I have been taking the Vitamin B supplement since then with no obvious side effects (blood tests put my Vitamin B levels at the high end of normal, occasionally just, and I mean just, above normal). For information each tablet I take contains 250mg B1, 250mg B6 and 1mg B12. I take 1 per day. This is far higher than the Vitamin B tablets you can get in the UK, at least the tablets I have looked at. Your mileage might vary.