PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL interval in Brisbane
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2018, 00:39
Okihara

Location: Currently: A landlocked country with high terrain, otherwise Melbourne, Australia + Washington D.C.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With respect to the comment above suggesting you do a RPL, do note that it is not a requirement to have a RPL to do the PPL training and flight test. While the PPL syllabus does encompass the whole RPL syllabus, you may just as well decide to forgo the RPL test and go on straight to your PPL training (8 navigation exercises ≅ 20 additional hours).

If you're still with me and there's yet another pathway to the clouds in Australia, namely the RA Aus (Recreational Aviation Australia). Here in Aus you'll find that GA is under CASA oversight (no pun intended) and light sport aircraft activities are governed by a different body called RA Aus. This is a wholly different albeit very lively and active organisation. I cannot speak much on its behalf because I've ever only flown GA but my understanding and observations are that 1. RA Aus provides a cheaper alternative to GA for those pilots intending to fly recreationally and thus is a quite a popular alternative down under, 2. has a recreational pilot certificate (roughly equivalent to a RPL, ie. there are ways to convert one into the other at low expenses at a later stage) that you can top up with endorsements, 3. primarily intended for flights in uncontrolled airspace.

Quite a number of flight schools here offer both the GA (RPL, PPL, CPL, ...) and the RA tracks and I found that many students start in RA only to convert later to GA because of cheaper hire rates and probably simpler regulations.

A word of caution: many experienced pilots will say that flying RA hardware is different from traditional GA. That's true, albeit to a moderate degree only. I did my RPL on traditional GA trainers (Warriors and C172) and did my PPL on Slings that can be both RA and GA registered. In a way, I'm happy I trained first on the traditional hardware but, seriously, I don't buy the claim that flying sport aircraft is all that different.

Have a look at it too as you might find it to be of some interest. The medical requirements are lower too and as long as you're happy having only one passenger at a time, this may just be what you're looking for.