PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The TU-95 Bear Lives On
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2018, 14:24
Heathrow Harry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Octane
Hi Dook,
When you say the Bear was noisy, how noisy is noisy? So noisy it was an ordeal? I suppose it's hard to quantify without knowing dB numbers. I'm also curious to know how noisy it usually was in your own aircraft, would you be able to converse normally if someone was next to you or is that out of the question? Was there much difference between the different types you flew and between say a 50's fighter and a more modern type? And is a jet fighter radically noisier than an airliner? I'm guessing yes as the engine is only a few metres behind you compared to 20 metres or so a B777? Sorry for all the questions about something I'll never be able to experience for myself! (I have been up the front of modern airliners in flight).
Cheers
Octane
Loudest aeroplane I've ever heard by a country mile - though it may have been the throbbing beat and the specific pitch that did you in...... a Caravelle had a particular nasty high pitched noise and Concorde was no slouch but a Bear............. Like being 5 ft from The Who's amp system - which I was for a (very ) short period.............