PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who's happy
Thread: Who's happy
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2018, 10:50
High Energy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtaflyer
High energy

you cannot remain calm and go with the flow when you have roster instability, working flat out, arriving home fatigued and not having quality time with family. Pilots who are suffering being on their present circumstances need create opportunity for better life and only way to do it is escape from this ME mad house.
​​​​​​
it's obvious that many are not happy in their present job and are envious when they hear about their colleagues leaving and wish they too can escape Alcatraz but are not able to do so for whatever reason.

I emphasize with my fellow aviators and recommend that sometimes you need close one door before another one opens. There are lots of jobs out there and start opening your own doors even if no job Available immediately you will not be unemployed for long!

Like I said, each to their own. I have plenty of options to choose from if I decide to leave. I just don't see a reason why as it's so chill here. My roster compared to other middle eastern flag carriers and european legacy airlines that I've flown for is stable, set in stone once published and virtually without layovers. On average I fly around 70-75hrs a month with the occasional 90+. I don't mind that. I am not tired and not even remotely fatigued and no swapping roster patterns anymore. It used to be different before the crash and my upgrade years back. If you want to see instability, tough rosters due to the set out rules by governing bodies, upgrade stress, job security stress and fatigue, ME maddness and family safety stress I'd say go and look at some of the other national carriers around the GCC. (outside of UAE I mean)

I guess here my seniority is working for me now and I've done my time. The occasional night flight comes with the territory I'm afraid so I don't complain. No different than doing a night UK-Turkey/Egypt night turn. And as far as family time, well that's my main argument to stay. Many of my friends at EK (and senior too) are jelous of the amount of time I spend at home compared to another continent or in a hotel. I can do either school drop of or pickup almost daily and spend time with the family. I'm not yet senior enough to pick/choose or build my own full roster so I'll get the occasional back-to-back night turn. But other than that it's pretty sweet. Around 80+% of my flights are requested flights. And that gives me the lifestyle I want and need.

It ain't perfect but I've seen enough hotels for now and I've been made redundant. I've been in the wrong place at the wrong time with molotov cocktails flying around whilst having my family in the car incl a newborn. Trust me it really ain't to bad at T2 and DXB but each to their own.