PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Convair 340 (C-131D) ZS-BRV crash Pretoria, South Africa
Old 17th Aug 2018, 01:41
MarkerInbound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Centaurus
The operative word is "noticeably." In the Convair (assuming my memory is correct from over 50 years ago since I flew the Convair 440) there was usually around 15 BMEP difference between the two engines on take off. That was because one of the engines was used for operating the air-conditioning /pressurisation systems and that stole power from that engine, for want of a better term. I forget which engine. However manifold pressure and RPM indications displayed equal for both engines. It was only the BMEP for one engine that was slightly down on the other engine
At least in FAA land there is an AD concerning the windshield. The simple solution to deactivate the pressurization system. So thirty some years ago all the CVs I flew had the pressurization inop. We bought a 240 that had been sitting for years mainly for the engine cowls to switch one plane from CA engines to CBs. During the ferry flight I look over and all the pressurization stuff on the FO's side panel appears to be working. So then we had to try to remember how to make it work.

And to think there are people on here who talk about the simple aircraft of the 1950s!

I still remember my first leg as PIC after 15-20 hours of OE with a line check airman. The FO and I had both come off DC-3s. Lining up on the runway I asked "Are you ready for this?" BMEP gauges and auto-feather lights. CHT selector switches and water pressure lights and gauges. We even had engine analyzers on some of the planes if you wanted to get up and play with them.