PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - controllers with broken english
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2003, 17:17
Jerricho
Ohcirrej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It only took a couple of weeks to kick this one off again. The "yeah but French is an ICAO language", "we invented aviation". Next it will be "we fly an Airbus, so we're going to speak French.......Well we fly a Boeing, so we'll speak American" (God help us all!). And lets look at this senario: French speaking carrier in confliction with english speaking carrier and avoiding action given. Instructions being barked at one pilot in french, the other guy sitting there thinking WTF???

On a visit to Montreal Centre earlier in the year and was listening in on their Terminal Speciality. It was very strange hearing bi-lingual sequencing (admittedly, I was a little hung-over and I'm easily confused). But, IMHO I wouldn't like to be a pilot entering TMA airspace with Engligh and French instructions being thrown about. Fair dues to the controllers who do it, but situational awareness in the air, hmmmmmm.

On a lighter note, I heard a story last night about a certain French Aer Lingus pilot who has adopted the paddy "Good luck!" on changing frequencies. Nice one