PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2018, 01:42
canberra97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gkmeech

The A320 is not too big. Many summers ago I flew on Iberworld 320 to PMI. This operated for a couple of years, no problems.
I don't think that you have taken the comment regarding the A320 being to big for Southampton seriously, it was in reference to LoLo and it's aspirations for SOU going from a E195 to a A320 is quite an overkill considering that they can't fill the current aircraft.

Of course SOU can handle a A320 we are all aware of that and the airport has seen many, you are aware that Easyjet were using them on the GVA route over the winter plus other than the Iberworld A320 that you have mentioned the airport has also in the past seen regular flights with other operators using the A320 including Spanair and BH Air plus the odd diversions and on some of the Lapland charters but you have to take in the fact that day trips to see Santa are going to be a lot lighter than a fully loaded flight to the Med which does hinder the loads ex SOU for an A320 especially with the heat and the short runway but is it too big for the airport of course not but it has it's limitations but a lot less so than a B738 for example.

I was hoping that some of the EasyJet A319's would be kept within the fleet possibly to open up new routes or bases but they all seem to be leaving the fleet over the next couple of years as the incoming NEOs replaces them with a large number of the A319's destined for United.