PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged Diabetes Thread
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2018, 17:43
Driftdown89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3db
Driftdown,
Are you on Insulin? I know most T1 diabetics are treated with insulin. I have looked at the CAA web site, but found the information confusing - hence came here for practicle guidence.
Yes I am on insulin via an insulin pump.

When I was diagnosed 2 years ago aged 24, I already had a EASA Class 1 issued by the UK CAA. My understanding is that to join the protocol, you have have already been holding a medical wether it a class 1 or 2. That may have changed recently after a change to the rules regarding initial medicals for people with HIV.

My AME was hopeless in trying to find out information on how to get my medical back, I called the CAA and they told me to speak to my AME. Useless! I found the email address for the CAA medical department (on their website, I can’t remember it off the top of my head) and finally someone called me 2 days later and gave me guidance on how to regain my Class 1. Once I had gathered all the required data, I submitted it to the CAA for review. A couple of days later I was asked to book an appointment with the diabetes consultant who runs the protocol with the CAA. He reviewed my results and gave a recommendation to reinstate my medical. It arrived in the post a week later.

The process took 4 months in total.

If if you would like specific info then drop me a PM.