PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-2
Thread: Southend-2
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2018, 07:35
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've also never seen more than one boarding pass scanner being used at the entrance to the security hall but the capacity is there to double the throughput as Airport Planner1 says, so I don't see that as a major problem. Likewise there seems plenty of security screening capacity available with normally only 50% of the x-ray machine channels in use in my experience.

Everyone also seems to be forgetting that the extension of both ends of the current terminal has been approved and I expect that to be carried out over the winter. That will increase considerably its footprint and the number of boarding gates and the baggage reclaim capacity. I agree that car parking on-site may become a problem but planning consent exists for turning the old ATEL car park adjacent to the airport entrance into a 260 space valet car parking facility.

There is a great deal that needs doing before next March and I think that might be quite challenging to achieve but I'm sure one of those things will be further efforts to persuade Greater Anglia to provide earlier and later trains. They have always seemed intransigent previously but perhaps a larger carrot will now need to be offered.

Last edited by Expressflight; 15th Aug 2018 at 13:34. Reason: add car park capacity