PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow-2
Thread: Heathrow-2
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2018, 06:21
Navpi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In real terms the Heathrow tax bill is non existent because they re invest the money, or at least I think they do.

by way of example in 2016 corporation tax paid was £24m by Heathrow to HMRC.

that seems somewhat low but I'm unsure what the P+L figures were.

Quoting The Sunday Times however
£24m was paid in corporation tax
£2000m was paid in dividends

I assume there are special rules whereby the shareholders are reinvesting all that money.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/heathrow-pays-pound2bn-to-owners-and-pound24m-tax-wnhjqldmcbm

I think thery fall under special rules governing tax as they are exempt from public scrutiny like other companies. We saw that with the Heathrow rw3 vote. It's doubtful Mps would support expansion if they knew that the taxpayer was pumping billions in whilst foreign owners were taking out billions at the other end.

It would be a bit like AMAZON suggesting they want to build a new mega warehouse and Westminster saying "there you go , have £12,000,000,000m" , whilst at the sametime handing over a derisory nay pitiful tax sum to the treasury.

HEATHROW is clearly a special case but I'm unsure of what the actual tax rules actually are. Is it something to do with transfer traffic and therefore an exemption applies?

Last edited by Navpi; 15th Aug 2018 at 06:34.