PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Convair 340 (C-131D) ZS-BRV crash Pretoria, South Africa
Old 14th Aug 2018, 15:09
SLFinAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fella
Grizzly, your comments are inappropriate, certainly at this time I think, before anything more than a preliminary report with contradictions within is all we have to inform us.
Both pilots are still critically ill, neither has been able to relate their side of this story and we do not know the full extent of the problems they encountered. Hasty
condemnation of the crew is unwise and unfair, in my view. At least have the decency to wait until the full and final report is available before being so willing to
crucify the crew. I note you do not give any hint as to your qualifications, if any, to make such judgments.
I don't think the comments are inappropriate or unfounded in any way specific to what we know. Without question the preliminary report is by it's nature both incomplete and does not paint an entirely accurate picture....however.

I do think that it is within reason to assume that had the PIC declared an emergency and stated both his intentions and instructions it would be noted in the report. Without question the engine failure itself is simply fate but the PIC's apparent
failure to exercise command is something entirely different. Had he announced his intentions to return to both and then instructed the LAME to deal with the engine/fire and the PM to handle the radio/look for alternative spots to ditch this flight might have had a different outcome...

At least for the unfortunate souls on the ground who perished. With command comes responsibility and regardless of all the other variables involved it appears that the PIC failed to meet this burden....again it's a harsh subjective (at this point) but not unreasoned observation. More so
if in fact there was no clear prefight brief for mechanic or other emergencies....