PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FO‘s expectations of a new Captain
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2018, 09:29
six-sixty

Location: European Administrative Area (Western District and Islands)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deano777
I think the divert talk is just a misnomer, let's face it, if you're taking plog fuel the chances are the weather is fine. How many captains here would divert if you reached your alternate fuel rather than commit to the destination intended? Probably not that many. I've taken plog fuel for the last 18 months on the ejet (in good weather) and have never even come close to eating into my alternate fuel and that includes flying into most of the major airports in Europe, flying lower and includes 2 or more times round the hold. There's no need for extra if you know the first fuel check is going to throw up an extra 4-500kg, it's all about trust in what's presented and that's where experience play's it's part. Horses for courses but if that makes me a "bad captain" in Vokes55's eyes then cest la vie.
I think we work for the same company. You must fly it a lot more efficiently than me! Having flown both our types I'd be shocked to see +4-500kg up even on the turboprop from min plog fuel let alone the Embraer, which despite flown rigidly to SOPs very rarely gifted me with meaningful extra fuel. A function of different plog/route assumptions from different bases perhaps, but I've had a few shocks on a few routes so it's definitely not black and white and I consider every flight individually based on experience.